buying Fingal Co Co bin tags

damson

Hi. I want to buy a compost bin from Fingal Co Co, but they won't take cash in payment, just bin tags. Can I buy just a few bin tags to pay them, or do the shops only sell them in books with a certain minimum number? I'm not based in Fingal, so any extra ones won't be of use to me.

Tags can be bought singly, so you only need to buy what you need.

Last edited:
From the Fingal Co Co website...
"Payment can be made by cash at County Hall, Main St., Swords, Co. Dublin; from 9am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday or by cheque or postal order (Payable to Fingal County Council) ; or using laser or credit card over the phone. Delivery time is normally 3-4 weeks from date of payment.
Compost bins can also be purchased from Balbriggan, Coolmine, Balleally and Estuary (Swords) Recycling Centres payable in bin tags only.​
For further information and compost orders please call our Compost Line on 01-890 6286"

I've been told that compost bins tend to attract rats and that they've been known to chew through the bins to get to the rotting compost inside. Is this a load of rubbish - pardon the pun! - cos I'd like to start composting myself.

Thanks for the info emmt. I saw this myself, but when I enquired about it further, the option to pay by cash/laser/credit card only applied to people who were having the bin delivered to their home by the Co Co, and unfortunately since I'm not based in Fingal they won't do this. So my only option is to buy it at one of the recycling centres and take it away myself, and for this I can only pay in bin tags.

As regards the vermin, I hope that once the bin has a good seal it shouldn't attract rats. I plan to inspect this aspect of the bin before I actually buy it.

I've been told that compost bins tend to attract rats and that they've been known to chew through the bins to get to the rotting compost inside. Is this a load of rubbish - pardon the pun! - cos I'd like to start composting myself.

Don't put cooked food, dairy or fatty foods into the compost and you will minimise the risk.
Leo