buying ex-corpo house what to look for..

moneygrower

Not sure if this is the right spot for this.

Can only who bought one of these or grew up in one give advice on common problems etc to look out for. I know they are considered to be 'solidly built' but they are also eighty years old and it looks like we can't afford one that has already been modernised.

Here are some things I have thought of so far -

I understand that the internal walls are solid so getting a house rewired could be expensive because of the cost of chasing but you could hire the machine to do the chasing yourself and leave the wiring to the electrician - is this right?

Are wooden double glazing windows more expensive than pvc?

what would it involve and roughly what would it cost to insulate the house properly? Does drylining take inches of the room size?

Is it difficult or expensive to change oil heating to gas?

Are the plumbing issues to worry about?

Many thanks

I understand that the internal walls are solid so getting a house rewired could be expensive because of the cost of chasing but you could hire the machine to do the chasing yourself and leave the wiring to the electrician - is this right?

Yes, as long as you know what you are doing - and where - there are good savings to be made.

Are wooden double glazing windows more expensive than pvc?

Think it very much depends on type of wood. Quality hardwood DG can be expensive. You would need to get quotes as there are many options for both. Remember though PVC insulates better and is virtually maintenance free.

Does drylining take inches of the room size?

In a word, yes.

Is it difficult or expensive to change oil heating to gas?

Relatively inexpensive - to my initial surprise I've been told that it's actually quite a straightforward job.

Are the plumbing issues to worry about?

It's possible but it's what I'd worry about least TBH.

E.g., our last house was about the same age - we lived there 5 years - zero problems with plumbing (as far as we were aware).

Look out for woodworm, probably most noticable in the attic. As with any house purchase, get a detailed survey carried out.
Leo

That's be one for the survey wouldn't it, I's imagine the estate agent wouldn't be too excited about finding a ladder for you to examine the attic.
I have every intention of getting a good survey done, just wondering what obvious things to look out for before we get to the sale agreed stage.

I've owned several of these two-up, two-down ex-corporation houses over the years and would wholeheartedly recommend them.

Some things to consider might be:

1. They don't hold heat well, even after insulating the attic. Dry-lining the main living room of the house might be a good idea and double-glazing is essential. PVC is typically cheaper than wooden.

2. The external walls of the house are extremely thick and difficult to chase. Even hanging a picture or curtain rail can be a bit of a nightmare.

3. Original floorboards tend to be easy enough to sand down with a hand sander and varnish. Just stain them a darker brown if they are in poor condition. If you're changing the heating, don't let the tradesmen haphazardly damage the floor.

4. Noise insulation between rooms is pretty bad, but not sure if it's actually any better with more modern houses.