Buying English car in Ireland

dieselhead

Hi I am buying a VW golf TDI off a fella who brought the car in and he is selling it because the gardai are at him to pay the vrt but he is selling it now but anyway, I was told I need to get a piece of blue and red paper but this fella has only the blue with his details on it I think and do i not need a cert of ''permanent vehichle export'' and he doesnt hav that either, iv been told to stay away what do ye think?

Re: Buying English car in Ireland HELP!!!

If he is as careless as you make out, you had better check that there is no outstanding finance on the car. Also from what you state he is either an airhead or there is another issue with this car. Avoid or Be VERY Careful,

Run away - as my Granny used to sing, "Over the hills and far away".

You need sections 1-8 pt the V5C document, without this you cannot register it in Ireland or legally drive t either after 1 working day, unless the Revenue give you an extension while waiting for documentation. All sounds very suspect to be, there are lots of cars to buy.

If you are planning to import a car from the UK, you should check what VRT rate will apply after July 1st. It might be to your advantage to wait, depending on the model.

its easily sorted - fax / email the dvla in swansea with a request for a "certificate of export" (form available on thier website) - waiting time of about 2 weeks - and no charge...I got mine no probs at all.

Hi Brian
Are you saying that you bought a car in uk, and then applied for the cert of export having brought it in?

yes

the reason they wont issue a VLC is that you dont have a permanent UK address - therefore the only doc they will or can issue is the certificate of export which notes you as the owner