buying digital camera

babydays

About to buy a digital camera.

Looking for :
at least 6 megapixels for photo clarity
optical zoom
stabiliser would be nice

have seen the sony cyber-shot DSCW30 for E211 from pixmania.

Is this a good price for a good camera?

Advice appreciated!

It looks not bad, though you should consider buying extra memory in one of their 'bundles'. Have you tried doing a ? There are dozens of previous threads along this line...

in NYC is a great place to buy cameras, seem to have one roughly equivalent to what you are looking at for 143 euro

thanks for the replies. After having checked out lots of on-line review sites etc I went for the Sony. I was getting dizzy from all the possibilities. It seems like a good deal.

The Bermingham camera shop website was off-line when I checked.

Reviews will follow!

I want to get a camera as a gift for someone, what would people recommend as a good point and shoot these days? <€200 range.

It would need to be readily available in Dublin before Christmas. I am aware of dpreview.com etc. but there is just so much choice in this price range that I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

I have heard some not so good things about pixmania so beware.
Conn's camera on Wexford street have a very good reputation amongst the more serious amateur photographers.
For more expensive items and if you had more time I would advise buying from Germany, much cheaper than Ireland.
Try Dixons Currys and see if there prices are any better in comparison to high street shops.

Thanks jmayo, I'm looking for specific make/model recomendations for a cheap(ish) digital point and shoot. I'm just not familiar with these types of camera at all.

Well, the good news is that the Sony you linked to above seems to have dropped to just over €200.

To be honest, though, for that price I'd recommend the very similarly featured , bundled with stuff you're going to need.

The prices are keener still on [broken link removed] (consider also the three Fuji Finepix models at the top of that list... I bought my daughter the recently, and it's a delight to use.)

One disadvantage of the Sony cameras (apart from being over-priced) is that you're tied into expensive proprietary memory sticks and inbuilt lithium batteries. Olympus and Fuji cameras use xD cards — again very [broken link removed] on 7dayshop — and standard AA-sized rechargeables (so you can bung in a pair of ordinary alkalines in an emergency).

Thanks DrM.

While wandering around town today I came across a Fuji A500 with 256MB card and a charger for €180. Is this considered a reasonable deal by people?

Bankrupt,
Have you tried argos. I know that they had the next model up the A600 for 134 euro last week. It was half price ( well half their original price). I think the a500 was around 110 ( but not sure).
there was also an offer in the catalogue of a half price accessory kit of a case, charger, batteries and a small tripod for around 30 euro.
7dayshop.com offers great value on cards and rechargeable batteries.

you can check the price on Argos 01 2161616. Not sure if the lines are not working or just extremely busy at the moment.
the a500 is cat no 5605053
the a600 is 5605273
They also had a number of other cameras on offer. You have to take their reductions with a pinch of salt but the price on the A600 is very competitive if you need to buy in a store.

The A600 is in stock in Jervis 397 and ilac 394 liffey valley 687. it is 134 euro . The A500 is 119 euro. the phones are working but busy.

Hi, was doing a search on the argos website for the Fuji A600 and cant find it - even says the cat no given above cannot be found! Are they all out of stock?

was doing a search on the argos website....
The Argos website is just very poor. Either phone them or call into one of the shops. The website is very seldom up to date with current stock and if it did have details on the product, I'm still not sure I'd trust what it was saying.

the argos.ie site does not list any electrical items. You can only check stock/reserve for electrical items via the 01 2161616 telephone.You also need the store no which are available on the .ie website.
You can check the specs on the .co.uk site.
The 01 2161616 is very busy as you would expect so you may not be able to get through. Late at night / very early might be the best time.

I don't think the rechareable batteries are a good idea at all. I have a camera with a lithium battery and my daughter has one with double AA's. She is forever borrowing mine as her batteries die before she has finished taking photos - she does take a lot. But the point is mine doesn't need to be recharged for a good while. The cameras with double aa batteries may be cheaper but , in my opinion, you're getting what you pay for and may regret it later.