Buying digital camera in boston

fobs

Going to Boston on the 4th of Dec. And want to buy a digital camera while there. Willing to spend up to 400 euro and would like some advice from anyone in the know about what make/model to buy. Also if anyone has a recommendation of where to buy that would be a great help also!

I am willing to take the risk and hope for the best! Anyone any suggestions of where/what to buy?

are excellent, but the store is in NY. However, if you ordered online and had it mailed to an address in Boston, you'd avoid the NY sales tax...

As for which make/model, it all depends on what you need/want to use it for. Check out www.dpreview.com for tips, reviews and side-by-side comparison charts. For that budget, I'd personally recommend [broken link removed] for , then add some extra memory. But maybe you want a compact camera..?

What about the Canon D450/Ixus 55. Only used one for a short period but has a v. large display (2") and is really compact. (Although if you have big hands, this baby might be too small!) Canon are a top brand as well. Ixus 50 is similar and is probably a bit cheaper. As for Boston, a friend bought one there a while back, just some shop on a high street, sorry don't know name. It worked out roughly same price as internet prices (Pixmania) Do some research first on each model you're interested in. Just put camera name and review into google should turn up loads. Best of Luck.

Sorry for piggy backing Fobs but Im heading to NY and would be interested in purchasing a decent camera there.Any recommendations for NY would be appreciated.

D

are about the cheapest. There is a few best buy shops in Boston and you will get the price on the website in the shop.

here is what u do, decide on a camera, say a nice sony, 5 megapixels, u cant wrong with sony, see Sony DSC-W7 or the W1 OR THE W5, when u get to Boston, buy a magazine called something like What Camera, look for you camera, get it at cheapest price on an ad, go to BEST BUY or CIRCUIT CITY selct camera, chat to sales agent, mention do u do pricematch and as a lot of these camera shops are in new york, u can say i have seen it for so much elsewhere, u may not get the full discount but u may get a good deal. watch at the till when u are paying, and those send in rebates are a waste of time.

good luck

noah

In the Cambridgeside Galleria there are two shops which sell cameras. Best Buy is one and Ritz cameras is the other. Ritz say they will do a price match and they have a very good selection. If there check out both shops as the range is slightly different in each. Sales reps are very good with information in the ritz shop

mts said:
are about the cheapest. There is a few best buy shops in Boston and you will get the price on the website in the shop.

I was in Virginia a few weeks back and 2 of my colleagues bought cameras in Bestbuy.
Check out prices before you go an they will match lowest prices - even online prices.

Also when getting the sd card 256mb @ ~ $49 they sold them to us for $25 because Walmart had SD cards for that online !

Is there are a problem with purchasing electrical equipment in the US? Will the charger for your Camera work here in Ireland, different voltages?

Has anyone ever done this - when purchasing can you you buy an Irish charger?

My camera doesn't have a charger. It uses standard batteries, so you just need to buy some batteries & a charger back here.

Gimme said:
Is there are a problem with purchasing electrical equipment in the US? Will the charger for your Camera work here in Ireland, different voltages?

US bought cameras with chargers will have US plugs. You will need to get an adapter there or here. I had difficulty locating one here but was advised in Maplins that one of the regular shaver adapters would do the job @ about €2-4. I was a bit hesitant but I have to say it has worked out perfectly in my case. You would have to take advise on that for your own circumstances though and be satisfied regarding voltage, etc. You dont want to cause damage.

Check out the warranty as a lot companies will not cover outside USA,and as they are not cheap it can be costly if you have a problem.

Ash said:
US bought cameras with chargers will have US plugs. You will need to get an adapter there or here. I had difficulty locating one here but was advised in Maplins that one of the regular shaver adapters would do the job @ about €2-4. I was a bit hesitant but I have to say it has worked out perfectly in my case. You would have to take advise on that for your own circumstances though and be satisfied regarding voltage, etc. You dont want to cause damage.

This is true, regular shaver adaptor will work as the transformer automatically detects the differentvoltage. You will see it on the transformer 100-240v.

fobs, I haven't bought a camera in the US but my feeling is that there would want to be a big saving to cover loss of warranty (some don't cover outside the US), problem in getting the camera home and problems if the item goes faulty. Saying this I know a few people that have purchased Digital and Film SLRs becaus eof the price difference.

I bought a Sony camera in NY last November. Was told at counter it had a worldwide warranty and didn't verify before parting with money. Just after Xmas, the lens motor failed. Sent camera to Sony Ireland. They looked for € 230 to repair camera as it had American warranty only.
Sent camera to Sony repair centre in Laredo, Texas. Their customer service was very poor but eventually got repaired camera returned. Estimate it cost € 70 between insured postage to Dublin and Texas and phonecalls. However still saved money on deal.
Did some browsing at the time - it seems very few manufacturers offer free worldwide warranty on cameras.
Caveat emptor.

JohnF

I bought a Canon A85 in BestBuy in TX early this year. The total price was 50%
of the price in Argos. Decided to take a punt on the lack of warranty.

Gimme said:

For the Sony DSC-P2, the power adaptor for charging it has a transformer 100-250V which will work in Ireland, Europe, US and most of the world. Into this transformer plugs a figure-of-8 power lead and you can get the Irish versions of these in most electrical for about a fiver.
If the power lead isn't detachable all you need is a plug adaptor which is just as cheap.
If the power adaptor isn't a transformer i.e. it says something like 110-120V on it, then you'll need to get a transformer for about €30. I would avoid this as I know someday someone would forget to use the transformer and blow up the camera.

Back