Buying decking Dublin area (DIY)

Muffinb

Anyone know what we should be looking for when enquiring about pricings etc. Our area to be covered is about 25ft long by 15ft wide so quite big. Want something durable but not very costly. Should we go for hardwood for softwood and what would diference in prices be roughly??
Saw some nice stuff in Salvage ards in Dublin8 and prices for wood seemed very good but a bit clueless about it all.
Hubby will be doing it himself and is very handy at this.

Any ideas or advise on what to do where to go?? Have about 3K in total for it but would like to do it as cheap as possible without having to do it again in about 10 years!!!

Thanks for those ideas but they are bo th websites that are for getting decking done by a company and dont really get me where I want to be! One can help me estimate but only when the company rings me back an I dont want to get someone to do it so Id just be wasting their time really.

Muffin

I think you better do more research, a soft wood will not last 10 years, and a hardwood although maybe longer will cost more. Decking is not durable but very dangerous if not regularly maintained. Think carefully about position and also what is the general aspect for the planned position. For example, decking in shaded damp areas will be disatrous and dangerous with young children. If it must be deck, go for composite decking, costs more but probably worth it. (Deck 25 and Earthwood are 2 reputable suppliers).

Smarter money would go with natural stone.

What about B&Q, Atlantic Homecare, Homebase etc surely they selling decking?
They do.....and it is going to cost the OP €10million for not great quality IMO
Best to go to the likes of Brooks Thomas, Goodwins, etc.. to buy your timber.

Thanks everyone for your input.
My decking area is south west facing and I do have a little 5 month old who by the summer might be crawling/ walking so am a bit worried about safety aspect. That had occured to me before alright.

Stone is Hubbys preferance but I just thought it would be way out of our price range, had seen somelovely stone in Outhaus so might get some quotes but you right that the stone is forever I suppose and deck will have to me varnished yearly right??

am I mad going for deck considerin I dont want to be regularly maintaning anything and dont want to have to replace as it wears.

Probably cost me same price to have stone now as replacing deck 3 times in my lifetime eh?? I plan on staying in house till they cart me off in my coffin!!

[broken link removed] will deliver the wood to your house if you are in Dublin. They will also help you work out what you need. I don't know what they are like on price though.

You'd be surpised just how little extra it would cost to get top quality (natural stone)paving supplied+fitted.

Hi there,

A few years ago I wanted decking just outside my backdoor but decided against it and went for a patio from roadstone...its indian sandstone and its the circle with the different shapes built around it...dh did it himself and did a brilliant job....see [broken link removed] - it was very reasonable and they deliver.

Then, last year I decided that i still wanted the decking so at the very back of the garden dh put down some decking..and got it from goodwins. [broken link removed] again they were very reasonably priced (but make sure you get your quote in writing beforehand) and easy to deal with. You need to go into them though and tell them exactly what your looking for.

Hope this helps.

Thats some great advise and I think Im probably leaning towards the stone now.
Just curious Alexalli which do you prefer after getting both in your garden, the stone or deck??? do you find the maintenance of the deck a pain or are you finding weeds between the stones an heartache??

Thanks again...
Muffin

Try DIY.com it is b&qs website that could give you advice. you can't shop on line with them but it might give you some ideas.