Buying catering equipment from a british company

Dream250

Hi there,
I'm in process of opening a cafe'/ take away so I'm looking at kitchen equipment. I came across a british company that are much more cheaper for the same exact equipment and they do deliver to the Republic.
My question is this, can I claim the VAT spent on the equipment bought from the UK through the Irish VAT department as normal?

Dream250

if your VAT registered and buying from another EU country you won't need to pay the VAT.

shop for your sterling, try all banks and currency.ie

Try north, might be faster. I know of someone who saved 2k buying a kitchen from an irish company through their northern dealer who delivered to them in south

if your VAT registered and buying from another EU country you won't need to pay the VAT.

Hello Johndoe64 and Dream250

Just to clarify this, your UK supplier is allowed to supply you on a zero VAT rate basis, provided he has proof of your VAT registration.

Whilst you do not have to pay VAT, you need to account for the VAT in your VAT return. In box T1 on your VAT return you show a liability of 21.5% over the purchase price. In box T2 you claim a deductible for the same amount. The net result is, you don't pay any VAT over your (UK) purchase, but you need to declare it in your VAT return.

Regards,
Rudolf289

Due to failure of so many restaurants/cafes etc (sorry to tell you that!)there's a lot of bankrupt companies selling here at present -try eauctions.ie amongst others

cheers for your comments.
Mine is a different concept of food. I know it might take some time to kick in but hopefully it will work down the line.
I have to do something, I cannot stay out of job and since there is nothing out there as regards jobs I decided to go ahead with my all time dream to start my own catering business.

rgds

Hi...I hope your business would run with success all the time.

So interested to know did you ever get started in the food business, I did have a coffee shop and catering business a few years ago so would just love to know an update. T