Buying Car in Ireland that still on UK plates

Quest

Need help folks - Need to know the pitfalls in relation to buying a car from someone who has imorted same, but selling it before VRT etc is paid..

Lets presume service history etc are all in order, been independantly checked by AA etc... am more worried about registration documentation and fact that car is in counry more than 24 hours woithout having been registered... What documentation should i be looking for?

all you need is the complete V5 document and nothing else.

dont worry about the 24 hour thing.

also, make sure you do a HPI check on the english reg of the car.

bring car and V5 document and blank cheque to VRT office and thats it.

Worth getting a mechanic/RAC to look at as well & check what the VRT is going to be, maybe the seller was caught for the extras on the car.

post up all the details of the car, make, model, spec, year, miles etc etc etc

I'm not so sure about the 24 hour thing, the revenue have been doing more crack downs recently:
http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0420/revenue.html
It's a buyers market for cars at the moment, why would you want the potential hassle?

yeah but thats people driving around in the foreign registered cars.
if the OP bought the car and brought it to the VRT office, they are not gona fine them or anything for not bringing it within 24 hours of first landing.

although it would want to be a good bit cheaper than an irish car to allow for the VRT price and also the time to do it.

yeah but thats people driving around in the foreign registered cars.

I see the peace process has come a long way when we class northern ireland as "foreign".

These are illigal taxes charges by a muppet government that will hopefully be replaced by the IMF within 5 months.

Car "buyers market" in the Republic - I think evidence out there clearly suggests that standard of car and service is a lot better in Northern Ireland/UK.....
get the car checked out and import it! Or even better go North and get a better deal yourself...

I'm not so sure about the 24 hour thing, the revenue have been doing more crack downs recently:
http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0420/revenue.html
It's a buyers market for cars at the moment, why would you want the potential hassle?

Unless you get caught and they take you car.

why does everybody keep bringing this up?????
the OP was worried because the car is in ireland longer than 24 hours, not that the OP is driving it longer than 24 hours.........

doesnt matter how long the car is in the country, aslong as the OP VRT's it when they buy they dont have to worry about the 24 hour rule....