Buying car in england

lyonsa3

Is it possible to buy a car for my wife (must be in her name) in england without her being there? Needs to be a suprise. I plan to go over in a couple of weeks to purchase. If I want the car in her name does she have to sign some forms or can I sign for it but put it in her name?

I think she would have to sign the part of the V5 form that the seller sends off to the DVLA, but i could be wrong on this.
Anyway why don't you just buy it in your name and once the vrt is paid change the ownership to her just as if you were selling it.
i done this a few years back made no difference to herself she was happy

Only thing about this way, is that there is an extra previous owner of the car. So when we want to sell it on the the future, this will effect the value.

Only thing about this way, is that there is an extra previous owner of the car. So when we want to sell it on the the future, this will effect the value.

Interesting question . Then how do car dealers register their ownership of cars ? Do they not count as another owner in the chain ?

Interesting question . Then how do car dealers register their ownership of cars ? Do they not count as another owner in the chain ?
For demo cars they do, for new vehicles purchased on behalf of customers there is no need.

Is it possible to buy a car for my wife (must be in her name) in england without her being there? Needs to be a suprise. I plan to go over in a couple of weeks to purchase. If I want the car in her name does she have to sign some forms or can I sign for it but put it in her name?

my husband bought a car for me in the UK last year in my name without me being there. No problems. It was registered here in my name when i paid the vrt and got the new vehicle registration certificate.
hope this helps your decision.

We bought a car in England last Summer for my mother. It was simply registered in her name the day after it arrived. There were no problems with having to sign any forms as far as I remember.

Cheer. Thanks for all the advise. Called a car dealer over in the UK and they said it would be no problem putting it in her name without her being there.

Back