Buying Australian shares

F

faolchu

Hi,

I been a long time reader of the forums here and I have gotten some very useful information, so many thanks to everyone. I've wanted to invest in some shares in Australia (I have specific companies in mind) Anyone know how I would go about doing this? What would be the tax implications? etc...:)

Hi,

I been a long time reader of the forums here and I have gotten some very useful information, so many thanks to everyone. I've wanted to invest in some shares in Australia (I have specific companies in mind) Anyone know how I would go about doing this? What would be the tax implications? etc...:)

I'd be interested in replies to this too.

Any use?

Some Australian companies may trade on exchanges other than the Australian Securities Exchange too.

Normal Irish tax rules will presumably apply - e.g. income tax on dividends, CGT on capital gains etc. with any double taxation agreement between Ireland and Australia maybe allowing any Australian witholding taxes to be offset against Irish tax liabilities.

€/AUD$ exchange risks may be an issue here too.

Hi,

Wanna spill :p

What are we talking here, resources stocks?

You have to bear the exchange rate risk in mind. I flogged some US shares recently that were up 30% (nominally) but I still made an overall loss because of exchange rate movement..

Back