Buying and selling in COVID times

JacobF

Looking for some advice....

My wife is keen we move to a larger house for our growing family. We looked last year but house we wanted well way over asking. She has seen a similar home for sale and attended a “virtual viewing”. The house had been sale agreed but sale fell through due to the current situation. New price is now €50k lower. House needs work easily €60-80k worth to modernise and improve BER.

I’m not sure on what’s best to do...

Its a solid house, good location could be a forever house. However, nothing is certain at the moment and I wonder will market drop significantly? Some saying 10-15% but who knows..

We both have relatively secure jobs (one private, one public), two kids but childcare seems challenging going forward and she is also considering taking a career break to stay home and mind the kids.

Right now we can live comfortably on my salary alone if she does decided to stay home. We do need space but I could convert the attic maybe for extra space. I’ve held off on attic cause I wanted to keep the €25k in case we do decide to move.

If we moved, we would get more space, better location but would have to undergo a renovation project and have higher mortgage payments (€600 extra a month). Higher payments still could be covered on my salary alone but it would mean mortgage would be half my take home pay. If wife went back to work after career break then it’s manageable.

What would people do in this situation? Any advice?

Cheers DeeKie - we will be doing one when possible. According to EA that will be late June / early July.

50% of your take home pay is too much. You could post some more info on a money makeover post to tease out more detail.

I believe in the old saying, "if it's for you it wont pass you". If you are happy with the price and feel that this is going to be your home then go for it. As regards the market going up or down you will really only know that in a few years when your looking back.