Buying and electrical item in Japan-will it work in Ireland?

CCOVICH

Question in the title-based on the fact that Japan uses the same electrical system as the US, is it correct to assume that an electrical item bought in Japan (e.g. a DVD player) it would not work in Ireland?

Probably not without a step down transformer. Assuming that it's not a universal power supply device.

60W has nothing to do with the voltage/frequency of the electrical input. Are you sure that this is not compatible with UK (and hence Irish) electrical mains standards? It's a UK site.

[broken link removed] that Japan uses 100V/50-60Hz while USA uses 120V/60Hz so they're not exactly the same. UK and Ireland use 230V-240V/50Hz. Whatever you do don't plug a 100-120V device into the Irish mains or it'll go up in smoke!

:eek: Taking the spec from a UK site makes great sense alright!

I guess it should still be possible to use a Japanese model over here regardless, as long as I could get an appropriate transformer?

You can use a stepdown transformer to run US 120V/60Hz devices here so I presume you can get something similar for a Japanese 100V device. Check online or somewhere like Maplin to be sure beforehand. For audio equipment I'm not sure if converting the mains input in this way might have unwanted side effects on audio quality though.

Back