Buying a UK Range - Flame Safety Device?

frash

Hi,

I've ordered a range cooker from & they've just rang me to make me aware that cookers sold on the Irish market need to be fitted with a Flame Safety Device which cuts off the gas supply if the flame is extinguished.

This safety device isn't mandatory on models sold in the UK & so the hob I'm buying won't have one.

I've used hobs before in Ireland & have smelt the gas before anything was cut-off so is the lack of the saftey device anything to be overly concerned about?

It's a dual-fuel range so gas on the hob only - not the oven

Last edited:
Re: Flame Safety Device

to have a flame failure device on the hob is mandatory and if anything happened with the range cooker that caused a fire etc you could have problems with your insurance co also bord gais would not connrct the product nor would Flo gas etc .Its against the law

But there are loads of threads up here from people who bought their range cooker either from a UK website or from Hardy's in Newry - all these ranges wouldn't have the flame safety device either.

for any quotes i got up north, they included the FSD in the price when they heard i was from the south, i think its about 75stg more with FSD

Thanks for the reply selfbuild99
Do you know if the FSD is something that can be just added onto the back of the range where the gas intake is or is it something internal in the range?

the ffd has to be fitted to each burner so that if the burner blows out the gas to the burner is cut off There is one ffd for each burner they look like a nail sticking up As far as I know they cannot be retro-fitted

Is this requirment for a FFD new?
I ask because in my last house the flame would occasionally go out when a pot would overboil but the gas would still keep coming.

the law is in now for abour3/4 years I am in the appliance business and I remember we had to have all the stock without ffd sold by a certain date .What we did was to sell them to NI who do not have the regulation.I would be surprised if the UK company could not get you a product with ffd

Ah that makes sense as I would have bought the old cooker about 5 years ago.
The range I'm getting is a 100cm one made by Belling.

Dimpco are the Irish distributors for Belling & they only import the 900cm & 1100cm model so I don't think Belling would have made a 100cm model with FFDs.

I have had gas hobs without the cut out and they are dangerous. Depending on the design of the knobs the gas can be accidently switched on when cleaning the hob or by children playing or adults not familiar with their operation or who are used to electric. I came home to a gas filled kitchen a few times.

I tried buying a range in newry and was told it would not be suitable in the South.I phoned Bord Gais and they said I would need to buy one with a FSD. I did manage to get one {with FSD} and a lot cheaper than in the South

Back