Buying a UK import from "Private Seller"

Staples

Browsing through carzone.ie, I noticed a lot of UK imports alledgedly for sale by private sellers. The number would suggest that a number of people are going to England, driving a car home and selling it before registering it. Rang one who said it would be my responsiblity to arrange VRT and he would accept a proportional cut in the asking price.

Is this legit?

In people's experience, does buying from these people involve any additional risk. I'm thinking along the line of buyer comeback. These people can't stand over the history of the car as they've never actually owned it.

Sounds a bit ropey but maybe I'm being paranoid. Would be grateful for views.

I did this about 10 years ago and never would again. The guy spun a big yarnn about the car belonging to his sick mother etc etc etc. The price was right but when I went to trade it in I was told it had been in an accident.

Buyer beware is the same for buying a UK car as an Irish one. The most important thing is that you will not be able to insure a car with no NCT. You will not get an NCT on English plates so you will likely have to drive the car for a period of time uninsured (Even if it's just to the NCT centre). Why bother???? Go to the UK yourself if there is any great benefit to be had.

The most important thing is that you will not be able to insure a car with no NCT. You will not get an NCT on English plates so you will likely have to drive the car for a period of time uninsured (Even if it's just to the NCT centre).

Doesn't this depend on the age of the car?

Buyer beware is the same for buying a UK car as an Irish one. The most important thing is that you will not be able to insure a car with no NCT. You will not get an NCT on English plates so you will likely have to drive the car for a period of time uninsured (Even if it's just to the NCT centre). Why bother???? Go to the UK yourself if there is any great benefit to be had.

The most important thing is that you will not be able to insure a car with no NCT
That's not true. An NCT cert is not a requirement for Insurance. Some Ins co.s will insist on an NCT, if the car is over a certain age, but it is most certainly not an obstacle for getting cover.

All Irish Ins Companies will cover you on English plates. Some will limit it to 30 days, others seem to have no problem insuring you indefinitely. You will not be forced to drive uninsured.

w.r.t. buying a UK registered car from an Irish seller? Once you have the V5, UK reg documents, and verify the car does not have any outstanding finance you can get it registered.

w.r.t the condition of the car, it's no different than if you are buying from an Irish seller.

As far as I know it's illegal to sell a foreign car without paying the VRT first..a garage won't sell you a car without paying the VRT.

As far as I know it's illegal to sell a foreign car without paying the VRT first..a garage won't sell you a car without paying the VRT.

I don't see how it could be illegal to sell a UK registered car.

The only thing one should know is that it IS illegal for a Rep of Ireland RESIDENT to drive a foreign registered car. THat would not be so bad for us all only to see the thousands of foreign registered cars being driven on our roads every day, cars from the UK and much further East.

One is obligated to
........... register it and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival in the State.

theres only one way to do this and that is to do it yourself.

look up autotrader.co.uk, take 500 stg off the price as you will get this off when not trading, then go to revenue.ie and work out the vrt. then ask yourself is it worth going.

Back