Buying a tv online

chippy

Hi guys again,i have been looking at large lcd tvs on various online stores such as Pixmania etc.The prices look very reasonable and i am very tempted.My question is has anyone had experience purchasing of any of these online stores.I am just worried they might not be very reliable to deal with,especially with aftercare service etc etc.Thanks Guys. Chippy

I have bought stuff from Pixmania with no problems - cameras, computers, not a TV though. I have had no problems with the goods - so no experience of aftercare etc.

splashed out yesterday and bought a new lcd tv and cinema system from our local Sony shop in North London, Sony KDL40W4500 - £999 with free 5 year guarantee and Sony DAVIS50 Dav unit for £299 (half price). going to buy a tv stand from standland on the net as they have some nice looking black glass corner units.

Without a doubt, the worst customer service and aftercare I ever "received" was with pixmania.

I wont go into it because the whole thing made my blood boil. Every time I hear the words "poor customer service", pixmania spring to mind. That's all I will say on the matter.

Looking at a 42" LCD myself. The Pixmania.ie prices dont look any better than the local DID or Powercity whereas their .co.uk prices are much lower - but I gather from other posts here that they will not ship to Dublin! Im now looking instead of driving to Newry (Currys for example) where the price of a 42" Samsung HD Ready is 499stg (web site today) compared with best of around 740€ here.
Any better suggestions?

Why not give richersounds.ie in Belfast a go ? They deliver to the south as well and if you are a boards.ie member they will halve the delivery cost (to £20). They have a good selection of high quality tvs.

No affiliation, just a customer.

I bought a Panasonic tv recommended by a number of magazines from richersounds in Belfast. They did warn me that I would have to have digital service from, for instance, ntl - otherwise I would get only a few channels directly on the tv itself. This proved to be the case. With the digital service all works fine.

An intermittent problem arose and I phoned Panasonic. They gave me the phone number of their repairers in Dublin who took away the set. The problem never showed up while they had the set - nor since. They said the problem might have been caused by the ntl box.

However the service I get from ntl is dreadful.

Panasonic said to me that it is best to buy a set in your own country.

I could not fault richersounds.

that is because they use a different tunner type, im sure if you hook it up to a dvd player or blue ray player it would look perfect wherever it came from