Buying a sterling bankdraft with sterling in ROI

Welfarite

I was gobsmacked when I went into my bank to buy a sterling bankdraft (£1300) with sterling cash of that amount. I was told that they would have to convert the cash into Euros and reconvert it into sterling to issue the draft. It would cost me 230 euro to do so. Can I walk into a NI bank and get the bankdraft there or do I need residency in NI? Or would a post office in NI be able to do it for me?

You cant get a bank drawn from NI without having an account with the bank.

If you were to get a postal order royal mail has the max value set at £250. These are their rates:

£0 - £4.99
50p
£5 - £9.99
£1.00​

£10 - to maximum value of £250
10% of the face value
Fees capped at £10.00​

So you would need to buy 5 x £250 which would be £50 cost to you

And then 1x £50 which would be £5 cost to you.

So a total of £55.

The only other way of doing this is to know someone that has a NI bank account.

With halifax to get a draft of £1300 would cost £10. Now that's for my bank and i have an ultimate reward card that i pay a monthly price for so i get reductions in things like this, for a normal savings/current account this could be higher.

I'm up in newry every monday from approx 10am to 1-2pm. If you happen to be in newry at the same time i have no problems in letting you use my account.

Cheers SJ, but I'm on the Derry side! That's great info. Funnily enough, I'm just after getting a call from somebody who went to Derry for me to get it and they told me all the same info as you have, just as I was reading your reply! I'll dig up a Derry Mucker mate to do the job for me I reckon!

that will be your best bet.....£10 or €230 no brainer really.

Jez you are "very noth of dublin"

Dont know why but i was thinking you were in NCD somewhere same as me.

Back