Buying a site

TheH

When you buy a site for building a one-off house who is responsible for putting up the perimeter fencing? We purchased a site - a corner of a field - with a turnip crop growing in the rest of the field. Subsequently the farmer has regrassed the field and now has cattle and sheep in the field. Since there was no perimeter fence on the site, we erected a post-and-rail fence and planted a native hedge as specified in our planning permission however this is in no way a stock-proof fence. Do I have to wait until the cattle break in before I can get my property protected? I am unclear who is actually responsible for erecting a perimeter - is it the seller or the buyer?

Unless you worked it out before buying, it's not entirely clear. The farmer is liable for damage to property (but not necessarily injury) caused by his animals straying onto anothers land under the tort of Cattle Trespass, but on the other hand, he has no obligation to actually erect a fence.

You have put up a fence. You have marked out your property. Farmer (if he is a good neighbour) should put up a strand of wire outside your fence, either electric or barbed.