Buying a sewing machine - best make and where?

paddi22

Hi,

Was interested in getting into making clothes but would appreciate any advice on which sewing machine is best to buy, i had a look at makes on google but would appreciate advice from people who use them. I don't want to get something too fancy for budget reasons but am not sure which makes are good?

Also where is the best place to buy them?
Any help appreciated

Re: Buying a sewing machine - best make and where?!

The Swiss machines tend to be the best - Bernina and Elna. A good middle of the road make is 'New Home' if you are starting off. If you're in Dublin, there's a shop in Parnell street. Also there's a craft fair coming up in the RDS in October or November - a good place to pick up a machine - if you can wait this long.

bought a singer off uk company, saved me a 100 euros, cheaper than Argos for same model. If you're interested I'll have a look to see who it was again...my friend ordered one too, and it was reliably delivered to her too.

I bought a Brother machine a few years back (not a basic model, around IR£600 but it' s brilliant). I thought buying it from the UK would be best, but I priced it carefully in the UK, called Brother Ireland, got the number of a local distributor who wthout even me bothering to ask, offered me a discount that made it less than the UK price.

For basic models, New Home is fine. The more expensive machines are infinitely nicer to use. Steer clear of the most basic budget models; the build quality is not great.

Singer or Brother (Singer for preference).

I bought a Singer sewing machine more than 20 years ago for £20 (and it was at least 20 years old then!); a few months it was overhauled by my dear old Dad, who rather enjoys doing these things and given to a friend who has recently moved house and is keen to make curtains etc., and is going strong (the sewing machine that is - though I'm sure the friend is doing well too!).

If you haven't sewed before and aren't sure how much use you will get out of it, I'd recommend borrowing one for a while and see how you get on.

Back