buying a PC in USA

K

kellysayers

does any one know if I buy a PC in the USA will it work ok here?

As long as it has a universal power supply (100-240V~, 50-60Hz) and most do these days or can be manually switched between US and Irish power modes. Make sure you check before plugging it in in Ireland though! You may need a power cord with an Irish three pronged plug to replace the one with a US two pronged plug that comes as standard.

What about software? is there any difference? Can I load software i have onto it?

Should be no significant difference in that respect. Name the software and I might be able to comment further.

thanks to both of you for all your help. I can't believe the price differences between here and Florida

US keyboard layout is slightly different (no Euro key and some punctuation keys in different places.). If it really bothers you you can buy another keyboard over here. The other issue to consider is warranty/returns in case of problems.

has anyone actually bought one in the states and loaded irish software? the guy in the Sony shop here in Ireland said that the following problems will happen

1. will only be able to access us web sites??!!!
2. eircom broadband won't work
3. won't be able to download notron updates via symantec
4. Warrenty isn't world wide (have to check this one out)
5. Irish software won't work

If anyone has purchased in the US and tried to do any of the above I would love to know if the above is true or not
Thanks

The guy is either lying to you, thinking you'll fall for it, or he's the kind of idiot who thinks if you bring your own radio on holidays to spain you'll still be able to listen to Joe Duffy on the beach.

The only potential problem is the warranty. Check with the manufacturer. If it's a Macintosh your warranty is worldwide. Don't know about PC manufacturers.

Everything else will work - flawlessly. The computer doesn't know where it is, until you tell it, that is.

As above - the guy is talking rubbish bar point (4) which is valid. I am typing this on a laptop that I bought in the US earlier in the year and have had no problems with it here in Ireland. However I have no fallback on any warranty or support (from Sony in this case) but, being a software engineer and capable of sorting out any problems that arise myself, this doesn't bother me personally.

Hopefully, Mr. Clubman, you won't have any hardware problems.

Kelly, have you done the maths? I really don't think that you can buy an up-to-date PC elsewhere at a significant enough saving to justify the hassle of importing, given that you will probably be hit for duties and VAT. What are you looking at buying?

extopia said:
Hopefully, Mr. Clubman, you won't have any hardware problems.
Yeah - hopefully not but I'd chance my arm at tackling them if I did. I realise that laptops are awkward to open at the best of times but they are largely (although not completely) assembled from stock components so it wouldn't bother me too much to try it.

no customs duties on computers folks - but still can be hit for the 21% VAT

I go to the states very often so if i had a prob it wouldn't be a major job to get it sorted over there. Importing isn't a hassle as I am going on the trip anyway. I should save about €300 - €500.