Buying a new car

S

starfish

I have been doing a little bit of research online on the new Mondeo. The model I am after is the 1.8 tdci, LX + met. paint. The online price for this is 29,050. I then visited a dealer, who quoted me 29,700.
I have seen some small print stating that "delivery and other charges are excluded". Does anyone know what and how much these charges are or is the dealer trying to pull a fast one?

It probably is delivery charges, which tend to be excluded from prices displayed on the net.

However, it's a bit irrelevant: there are very few cars that can get their list price new.

Do you have a trade in? If not you're in a very strong position if you know exactly what you want. Ring round five or six dealers, giving them the spec of the car you want and asking them what the best price they'll do it for. It doesn't matter where in the country they are. Then go to your most convenient dealer, test drive the car to make sure it's the one you want, and ask them the best price they'll do on it. Bargain as hard as you can, not mentioning the other prices until they won't budge any further.

If it's still more than the lowest price you've got elsewhere, ask them to match it, making clear you'll buy there and then if they do. If they don't, then go to where it's cheapest (unless it's a very minor difference and the inconvenience isn't worth it).

If you have a trade in, you can take the same approach: th only problem is you'll have to physically visit each one, so in practice you'll only get 2 or 3 prices.

My local Ford dearler is quoting a delivery charge of €600 on the new Mondeo.