Buying a new car in November 07

jasconius

Local dealer has offered my sister a brand new Fiesta at a very good price, ie about €2k less than list price. There may be a new model coming out in 2008.
However, he wants to book it in November as it seems he has reached his targets for 2007 and wants to put it into his 2008.

Can she take this unregistered car and ask the garage to store it until January so that she can get the 08 reg?

As she is going overseas on assignment in Nov and Dec, she can give the garage her trade-in next week and come back to a new car in January.

Is there anything to watch out for here - seems too good to be true!

1/. Make sure it's a 1.25 16v. best engine.

2/. Make 100% sure the car will not be preregistered. I'd suggest getting this in writing.

Car dealers who have reached their annual sales targets get volume rebates. At the margin these can be significant.

Subject to the above go ahead.

If it all worked out to be true I might go for it but I think I would want more than the 2k off.

I'd find it hard to believe that the dealer would be 'offering' anything that wasn't in his best interests also?

But as stated, the preregistration would need to be confirmed. Word of mouth or spoken contract would be no good here

Thanks for replies

I certainly would get it confirmed in writing, but equally other than selling him the trade-in, I am advising her not to part with any money until Jan08.

The dealer could not produce the car yesterday but promised a test drive today, so I think the garages may be 'rounding up' all unsold 07 models from the dealerships and selling them off before the new models come in next year.

If a new model is expected soon, then the discount she receives now may carry over into a future trade-in. I got a great deal on an A-class Mercedes several years ago, but the trade-in price I was offered 2 years later was subsequently reduced by €700 when the garage found that I had an "old model" car.

You cannot legally buy a car now and "store" it until next year to avail of the 08 reg. Once a car is purchased it must be registered and the VRT paid by the garage pretty much immediately.

I am looking for a Fiesta at the minute for 08. Any of the dealers I've spoken to that are offering decent discounts are only for cars to be registered immediately. I guess they are trying to get their rebates.

if it was that simple we'd all be doing it or driving around on uk reg's for months, what maso82 says is correct

Thanks again for comments

I don't think I used the word 'buy'

I suppose what I am thinking of is an agreement to trade-in basically now, and arrange to buy an 07 model in 08.