Buying a motorhome

lyonsie

We have been thinking of buying a motorhome for a while and have done a lot of research about this, including looking at previous threads in aam.. The thing is, we would like to take one on a test 'trip' instead of a 'drive', but they are sooooooo expensive to rent. Would love to take one to France for last 2 weeks of August, but they are even very expensive to rent over there, about €1300 per week.... Any ideas.... We will be going over to London for the major exhibition in Earls Court and probably go to the one in Germany also. Lots of suggestions to buy in Germany on previous posts and info of sites to access, very good info.
It will just be the two of us mostly, so we are looking for a very comfortable 4 berth, with made up bed, as I don't want to be un-doing beds every day. On the right side of 50 still and want to enjoy possible early retirement at 50, so need to have everything lined up...... Had first grandchild 5 months ago, so maybe in a few years we might bring her along with us, that would be the only extra 'on board', and don't like the bed overhead 'thing'.
Look forward to hearing from you seasoned 'travellers' out there.
L.

Am very interested myself in this topic, so would also be very keen to see any replies you might get.... So fingers crossed there are some keen motorhome owners who are willing to steer us in the right direction.

I can't think of anything TBH. I you want one for 2 weeks then you are going to have to pay for it at the going rate. The only cheap way is to rent one off peak.

Renting one in Ireland for a weekend is probably your best bet. It will be a small investment considering the overall price.

I bought one without ever having driven one before... even test drive. I went over to Germany and drove it back. It's no hassle... and a 4 berth like you are referring to would be more compact again.

Get one with a decent engine and the layout you like and it will all be fine I'd say! Alot of people steer clear of UK brands but I've been looking at AutoSleepers and they have some very nice 4 berths that might suit and there are likely to be quite a few in Ireland (including MotorhomeIreland in Dublin, who rent out vans.)

Thanks PGD1,
While I am thinking of a 4 berth, I am thinking of something very roomy. I quiet like the look of the hymer's. Saw a Skyline 700 with a Merc base and was very impressed. That is what I have in mind. As I said previously, don't like the overhead bed thing.
Anyway, I know we will purchase and probably go over to Germany/France and do as yourself, drive it home.
Good luck with yours and many years of happy sightseeing/travelling.

L.

What about buying a coach and converting? This worked for a family near us as kids.

I live in Paris and I have a motorhome that I rent out occasionally - PM me and I will provide you with some info on buying in France

Thanks Rob tg, but I rather like the luxury of the 'shop bought' ones in the brochures.... Will be hitting the big 50 in a couple of years, so are built for comfort now rather than speed.... Though there is a bit of life in the old dog, hence the idea of a motorhome and travel to see a bit of the world.
Have seen Rapido's and Pilot's too. Their integrated ones look rather good too.
There is a show in Dusseldorf at the end of August and one in Paris at the beginning of October, so one of them will be on the cards.

L.