Buying a moped/motorbike

Pickle

I am thinking of buying a motorbike or some sort of moped, I am now in my 30s full B license,
Do I need a different license to drive a moped to that of the B license , Just a new job I might be starting is terrible by car with traffic and 2 wheels seems much better.I used to have a moped and AR 80 when I was 22.
Is insurance alot etc

Don't know about Ireland, but here in England motorcyclists are known to the medical profession as "donors".

You'll get lots of information on starting off on bikes from the following sites -

www.biker.ie

www.boards.ie (motorcycling forum)

There's info on the licencing requirements, training, the bikes you can ride as a learner, the insurance companies who will quote you (there are only 4 in Ireland who insure bikes), what gear to buy and how to prepare for the test when you get that far.

Best of luck, keep shiny side up!

There are 3 categories of licence
M - mopeds under 50cc with a max speed of 48kph
A1 - motorcycles up to 125cc
A - larger motorcycles (restricted to 25kw - approx 33bhp - for 2 years after you pass the test)

Personally I prefer motorbikes for the increased stability of having larger wheels.
My suggestion would be to go for the A licence initially as if you pass the A1, then you have to start all again if you want a bigger bike.

Insurance shouldn't be too bad as you are in your thirties, but will depend very much on the bike you choose.

The big tips are training and gear. Spend some money on those and you will survive.
Best of luck and have a look at the sites the poster above suggested.

You can drive a Moped (under 50cc, restricted to 50kph) on a B licence. For anything bigger you need an A or A1 licence. At 28 my moped insurance on a full B licence was about €220 per year and road tax of €40 or so. Great way to get around the city but you got to get the safety gear and take a few lessons.

to the OP - I'd advise looking at a mid sized bike but it depends on your budget & the mileage you have to travel, also the types of roads you'll be using on your commute.

the smaller lighter bikes & mopeds leave you very exposed to both the elements and other road users. Mopeds especially, due to their low top speed seem to encourage lots of car drivers to overtake at dangerous positions.

If you post details about budget/commute you'll get some more info on what would be best for you. what ever you decide to do you'll need to budget for lessons and gear. My current gear cost about 1850 euro - my first bike cost 850 quid with a gear cost of 800.

To give an example of gear that people wear that is totally inappropriate - I was passed on the M1 last week by a girl on a piaggio doing about 110 kph wearing a helmet, gloves, a skirt and duffle coat. From past experience I know that a 3 second slide wore thru 2 layers of leather/kevlar gloves.

I drive a Honda Varadero 125. I bought mine brand new 2 years ago for €5,000 but you can get a second hand one cheaper.

Its a great bike for learning on and is quite sturdy - IMO its a lot safer than a moped.

I got my gear from Bikeworld, and as safety should be number 1 priority i spent €1,500 on the gear (Trousers, Jacket & Helmet / Gloves). If you want decent gear you will pay for it, but again, safety is a priority.