Buying a house in Tuam

Digger

Is Tuam an up and coming town ? What is the rental potential of a place like Tuam. Any ideas much appreciated.

Tuam is certainly improving in terms of amenities (e.g. the redeveloped swimming pool) and has good schools, for example. Its proximity to Galway is an advantage, however Claregalway is a major bottleneck for anyone planning to commute. Can be a bit rough - I'd look elsewhere first personally.

EEk, I agree about the traffic , but I was more specifically wondering if there would be a strong demand for rental in this town . If so how could I go about checking this out ?.I wouldn't take the word of an estate agent who would have a somewhat vested interest in talking up the rental potential for Tuam.
What about Athenry,????
Oranmore in Galway seems very pricey.???

Digger, why don't you call the estate agents saying you're looking for somewhere to rent? Then you'll get an idea of the number of properties on the market.
There have been other threads in the past on buying in Tuam and alternatives to Tuam - they might help you further. (Some alternatives that come to mind include Abbeyknockmoy, Milltown, Dunmore, Corofin, Claregalway, or on the other side of Galway, Craughwell or Loughrea maybe?)

yeah I will check the archives , I will definitely ring around estate agents about renting too find out what one could expect to pay. Thanks for your help.

Digger said:
but I was more specifically wondering if there would be a strong demand for rental in this town . If so how could I go about checking this out ?

How about placing an ad in the classifieds of the Galway Advertiser looking to rent the type of house you're looking at and see how many calls you get?

The railway line from Galway to Tuam is to be re-opened by 2009... this will be a major boost to the area, and I would imagine improve rental yields in the town from commuters, as Claregalway is a nightmare at present.

It's really difficult to rent a house in Tuam. Major saturation. The key place people looking to rent in Tuam is in the Tuam Herald where there are between 25 and 40 houses to rent each week.
Oranmore, while more expensive is a better option

Rental Market in Tuam is over supplied for the demand that is there. As an investor its not a good target IMO. There were at least 3 big new estates built in the last few years that has increased the supply.

As other posters have stated this may increase in comming years if the Train station is re-opened.

Back