Buying a house after separation

SolutionSeeker

Hi,
This site is a great source of information, I'm a first time poster.
I'm currently going through separation and seeking some advice on what options might be open to me to purchase another home. I will be moving into a rental property shortly, with my wife staying in the family home. Obviously, with the way rental prices are, I am keen to try and buy another home if I can. The current home is worth between 210-220k, with mortgage outstanding of c.138k. Based on current lending rules, on current salary I should be able to borrow c.140k.
I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have on the following;
  • Ideally, it would be best if my ex can stay in the family home and I purchase another home. As I understand it, I could apply for another mortgage for a primary residence once legally separated. I assume my name would need to be removed from the mortgage before this can happen?
  • Based on her income, the bank would be unlikely to consider letting her take on the mortgage herself. Is a buy to let mortgage the only option open to me assuming my name can't be removed from existing mortgage?
  • Is the maximum mortgage 70% LTV for buy to let?
  • Would i be better off trying to buy her out of the existing mortgage?
Thanks in advance.

In complicated cases like this, I would always recommend a mortgage broker.

They will give you advice on how best to prepare your case for a mortgage application, either now or in the future.

Brendan

In complicated cases like this, I would always recommend a mortgage broker.

They will give you advice on how best to prepare your case for a mortgage application, either now or in the future.

Brendan
Thanks Brendan, I'm based in Cork - can anyone recommend a good broker in the Cork area by private message (if this is permitted by forum rules).

Many thanks.