Buying a film SLR

Pique318

Hi,

I'm thinking of renewing my interest in photography and want to buy an old film SLR. I had a Canon Eos 500 which buggered up on me ages ago and I was told that it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new D-SLR.

I don't want to fork out hundreds on a D-SLR but really liked the shots from my old EOS.

What models should I look at in the Canon / Nikon / Olympus range? I'm looking to buy second-hand with a couple of lenses hopefully.

Thank 'ee kindly.
PK

The 300 was the replacement for the 500. You should still be able to find them around 2nd hand.

I've been thinking the same myself Pique318 and been looking up photography courses that wont cost the earth. Came accross this lot based in kerry. [broken link removed]

Saw a few cheap slrs on ebay looks good.[broken link removed]

Film DSLRs might be cheap to buy especially 2nd hand but the ongoing development cost outweight the initial cost of a DSLR. For me anyway.

I had a Canon Eos 500 which buggered up on me ages ago and I was told that it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new D-SLR.

I don't want to fork out hundreds on a D-SLR but really liked the shots from my old EOS.

I suggest you look for something like the EOS-30/33 (elan 7 or 7e in the states), have a look at this one for example:
[broken link removed]

Only $100 for the body and if you still have the lens on the 500 it should fit.

I agree with other posters that you would be better off with a D-SLR over the long run.

Conns Cameras off grafton st , dublin camera exchange on ? south great georges st and bermingham cameras near O'connell bridge all have second hand SLRs and DSLRS

You can get a new DSLR for 550 euro in the shops, and less on pixmania.com

DSLRS are a huge leap forward on SLRs- none of the major manufacturers are making film SLRs (I think nikon make only one model)

Back