Buying a dog in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Gekko

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Is it possible and legal/legit to buy a dog in the UK and bring him/her back to Ireland?

I’m advised that I’m now in the market for a puppy, and the consensus seems to be a very specific type which isn’t readily available here.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Last edited:
A friend of mine bought a puppy in Scotland. It was a specific breed that was hard to get here, apparently. I don't think she had any issues.

Have you really, really made up your mind about buying a specific breed? There's so many puppies and dogs in rescue centres, would you consider adopting?

Hi Thirsty,

I would have put money on you showing up to have a go and to derail the thread.

Yes, I’ve made up my mind to spend my money and hopefully 20 years of my family’s lives with a specific breed.

I hope that’s okay with you.

Gordon

Everything you need should be here. There's a standard EU pet passport that you'll need. [broken link removed]

No harm checking with the ferry company also for any specific rules they have.

Out of Interest what breed? I met a person in the park last week who had gone to wales and brought a pup back the same day, so it is definitely doable. On the flip side my friend was bringing his dog back from the continent and didn't have the paperwork sorted correctly and the dog was quarantined for a night.

Everything you need should be here. There's a standard EU pet passport that you'll need. [broken link removed]

No harm checking with the ferry company also for any specific rules they have.
You should ring the Dept. on 01- 6072827 and explain your specific circumstances i.e. if you intend to travel with the pet, etc. as different rules may apply. Ireland & the UK used to be a common travel area but since BREXIT I don't know what the ramifications are.

Also, be very wary of buying a pet online, there are a lot of scams out there. There is a reason you don't see puppies and kittens on Donedeal (for example) any more.

I would be very surprised if you could not locate whatever you are looking for in Ireland and save yourself a lot of trouble.

I would also be of the same view of @rob oyle in that rescuing a pet is the right thing to do.

Ireland & the UK used to be a common travel area but since BREXIT I don't know what the ramifications are.
There are transitional arrangements in place until at least 31st December. After that is still unclear,
[broken link removed]

That is for people who already own a pet and are travelling from Ireland to the UK and back again.

You haven't said whether you are going over to collect the pet or not. If you are, it may be treated as a pet. If not it may be treated as a commercial animal. It is better to ring them and explain exactly what you wish to do.

Also, if you do go over to buy an animal and intend returning with it - make sure that the microchip is scanned before you leave to ensure that it is working and that it matches the passport.

Are you sure about this? Demand increased during the lockdown and I’ve never seen so many new dog owners in my local park. All the new gear too!

I saw reports today that more are being handed back to charities now as people go back to work. Charities also have a backlog of adoptions due to issues doing the home checks in a Covid environment,

You haven't said whether you are going over to collect the pet or not. If you are, it may be treated as a pet.
Ah, thanks for clarification. I read too much into the wording 'bring him/her back' and assumed OP would be accompanying their new pet. You're absolutely correct it's best to confirm with the Dept. Especially if the pet isn't being brought back this year.

There’s no question of a dog becoming “surplus to requirements”...we’re not eejits, and I had a pet dog for 20 years, so it’s not my first rodeo.

I appreciate that people have strong feelings about animals, but me buying the dog we actually want doesn’t cause the death of another dog as has been suggested in a sensationalist manner; I don’t want another breed so it’s no dog or this dog.

The plan would be to transact remotely and for us all to go and collect him/her in the UK so I guess we would be bringing back our own pet at that stage. I have found some reputable places through friends and through research.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back