Buying a Diesel Car

C

Countryboy

I am going to buy a second hand diesel car ( v.w passat). Am I better buying now or waiting untill after July with the new VRT changes

second hand cars will stay on the same tax bracket as far as i know

ie if you pay 395 a year road tax you will still pay 395

Wait till july an influx of diesel cars from the uk and NI should help the prices here.

I would imagine it will take a while but should be good within a few months.

Bro just got a new 1.9 passat from the company very nice car. the 2.0 tdi is one to look for though.

Hi Countryboy. I would read this link before you buy. [broken link removed]

Fiats seem to be more reliable these days. And they make better diesels than Vag. Though that might change with vag finally realising that the PD system is crap compared to commonrail. You will see no change in VRT or road tax for second hand cars. Check for a full perfect VW service record. And ring the dealers to confirm. These cars are brutal expensive when the give trouble! Best of luck!

The passat is a great car to drive and a diesel is economical especially if you do a lot of driving but as the above post says they can be high maintenance when things go wrong. For example a timing belt cost me 400 euros to replace last year. If you know a good mechanic get him to service it. Stay away from main dealers the servicing costs are unreal.

[broken link removed]

I would also read this before buying a passat out of warranty!

you have to keep in mind when selling on a car which will hold its value more,fiat lose there value very fast

Is there some reason to believe that a 2nd hand VW Passat will be cheaper after July? I don't understand the mechanism for that, can someone explain please?

Why would there be an influx of cars from UK after July?

I have an 05 VW Passat, 1.9 TDI, 130 BHP.

Will it devalue for some reason? Guess it is not bad news if I decide to trade up.

I guess this is similar to what the OP is really asking - will a 2nd hand VW Passat be worth less because of the new VRT rules.

The garages have already priced in the depreciation due to the new VRT so further drops in value are not likely. Reasons why are;
1 - price of new car drops.......knock-on effect on second hand models
2 - influx of second hand from UK

1. OK, I get it.

2. Is there a particular reason why there will be MORE of an influx from the UK? Is this VRT related or currency exchange rate related?

Bit of both, collpase of sterling along with reduction in VRT for diesel imports.