Buying a car in the UK to bring home

M

MarkR

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a car in the UK and bringing it back to Dublin. I have sourced the actual model and am now looking to buy, but was wondering about the VRT and registration in Ireland.
I spend a lot of time in the UK, and stay with my uncle over there.
I heard something about registering the car in a UK address for 6 months, then bring back to Ireland means there is no VRT to pay.

Can anyone advise on the best situation of buying a UK car and bringing it into Ireland?

Some good advice on importing cars from the UK.

The VRT rules means that the car must be registered at the UK address for six months and must be re-registered at the Irish address for 12 months before re-sale in order for it to be VRT exempt. Trying to con the system on this one is probably pretty tough/stupid as it's worth too much to customs to get the checks right.

I'll second what Satanta has posted. The board link is full of great advice on the process.

Don't waste your time trying to scam it, it's been done before and they've seen it all.

why not ring the revenue just to be clear on the process.. you don't have to give your name or address adn they are obliged to answer your questions.personally though ,we have bought in the uk and paid the vrt when we got back.. that way u have peace of mind driving over here and no doubts when stopped

TBH, several family members have bought cars in the UK, paid the VRT and still come out better (financially). You also get a better car IMO. They seem to be fully loaded (plenty of extras that mightn't even be available in Ireland) and are in better condition - they are driving on better roads afterall.

Back