buying a BMW 320 CD coupe

Roundy#

I've always wanted a BMW coupe, and am looking at buying a 2003/2004 model from the UK. Thing is if I'm to be practical about it - we also have a 6 month baby girl. Am I mad to consider a coupe??

My wife has a saloon toledo, which we would still have as well. The only other car I think I would consider would be a A4 tdi estate or saloon or a honda accord..........the coupe, in my opinion, is the preferred choice!

Anyone any comments???

I bought my 325Ci last year from a guy who'd just had a new arrival. Wife was tired of leaning through to the back for car seat. So in that respect it's not at all practical. In your position I would not buy the coupe.

It's also one car I would not go the diesel option on. I'm sure they're great, with lots of power, but petrol engine/noise really suits it better I think.

In your position, I would buy a newish 5 series. 3 series saloons are boring...but the 5 at least has character. Plus it'll be more practical for the family.

A friend of mine has a baby boy and an M3 and its not an issue for him - he had a 330ci before - wife drives a golf

A friend of mine has a baby boy and an M3 and its not an issue for him - he had a 330ci before - wife drives a golf

I'd adjust if I had an M3 and had to fit a baby into it...

"He WILL fit.....and he'll enjoy it!!!"

The extra weight over the back wheels would help traction too ;)

thanks for the replies all........great an M3 seems to be the way to go!! I wish!! Think my wife might have a few stray words if I returned with one though

'tis better to have loved and lost(an M3) than never to have loved at all :)

I'm sure she'll understand !

Back to your original question....

If you had only the one car, I think it safe to assume you'd get pretty tired of not having more than two doors and fairly quickly at that.

However, it all comes down to which car would get used the most to move junior about the place. If it's only for occasional use the BMW is fine: there's a reasonable amount of space in the back, and getting in and out, though a pain, is fairly OK. If on the other hand the BMW is the main means of transport for junior my original comment applies.

By the way: I'm speaking as someone who had a BMW coupe for four years, with two children the elder seven when I sold it, the other three. We tended to use the other car (Merc A-class, later Renault Scenic) if out together, but on the odd occasion I had the girls in the back, there were no real problems.

You know, think i'll go ahead, my wifes car will be the main ferry anyway! And no, i wouldn't consider the saloon version

You know, think i'll go ahead, my wifes car will be the main ferry anyway! And no, i wouldn't consider the saloon version

Go for the petrol version :)

You won't get the same mpg as a diesel but I get 26mpg from my 325...and I'm not exactly easy on the accelerator!! You'll get 30 back from the 320CI. Don't go any lower than this. Straight six petrol engines are the way to go with the coupe.

Back