Buying a 2nd hand car

LizardKing

Hi ..

I'm buying a 2nd hand car which has not been NCT'd since 12/ 2006 ...

The car is in good shape and will pass but am I likely to face any fines or penalties because its overdue its NCT ?

Cheers

LK--<

Sorry I may have been a little unclear -- The NCT cert. says 12/06 ... is this the date it was last done or the date it was last due ...

It's the date it's expired, so when you do a new NCT test it will only cover you up to 12/08 when you'll have to get it done again. I don't think there is a penalty due to it being overdue - except it shouldn't be in use and if caught you will be liable to a fine and penalty points: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/list_of_offences.php

Personally, I'd never buy any car that didn't have a current NCT: get the seller to get one.

There's a fair chance that the reason it doesn't have one is that they know it won;t get one without a lot of work.

Personally, I'd never buy any car that didn't have a current NCT: get the seller to get one.

There's a fair chance that the reason it doesn't have one is that they know it won;t get one without a lot of work.
ya unless they owner does a NCT for you before selling, I'd walk away no matter how good the deal sounds

Back