buying 2 bed apartment is survey necessary

C

cara K

Put a deposit down on a 2 bed apartment, 29 years old.
Is survey necessary and are the rates cheaper than a house (Told approx €325 plus for a house).

Also since apartment block is 3 stories high do they just ignore the roof or what do they do.

Not sure whether this is necessary or not.

any thanks for advice.

Cara K

You would be absolute Radio Rental not to get a survey done

As this is a shared building you not only have the risk that you are buying something with defects but also have the risk that someone else may try to pin building defects on you.

Get a proper survey done - the cost is trivial compared your exposure.

According to my solicitor a survey on an apartment or duplex is not necessary, if it's covered by homebond etc...can't remember the ins and outs of it exactly. Needless to say I was all ready to get one done.
Ask your solicitor about it. That's what you're paying him the guts of 2 grand for.

Even if there is a Homebond guarantee (which there probably won't be for a 30 year old apartment), that's not the only issue. If there are any significant structural problems, wouldn't you want to know about these up front (regardless of whether they are covered by guarantee or not)?

Hi rainy,

Is the 29 years old reference in the original post the posters age or the apartment age. I read it as the posters age but I could be wrong.

I can only go on what my solicitor advised. He said that on a new duplex or apartment a survey is an unneccesary expsense. I was all set to get one done...but he changed my mind.

Do you think that was bad advice?

Yep, the roof survey is important. It is communally owned but it could affect the condition of your proposed property.

Get the services of a surveyor, it is worth it definitely. Expect to pay €275 ex VAT for a full professional survey. If you have structural concerns engage a chartered structural engineer, expect to pay more here.

HTH

Mo

Hi Piggy - I'd certainly want to understand the basis for the solicitors advise. Ensuring that you are legally covered is one thing, but you really don't want all the hassle & heartbreak that goes with such problems, even if you are legally covered.

Reply from Cara K

thanks for your advice, the apartment is actually 29 years old, I am older than that but a lady never tells her age!

We have decided to go ahead and get the survey done otherwise knowing my luck it will cave in on my head.

thanks for all your advice

Cara K

Back