buy plans online - role of architect

A few queries so far though - is there a difference between an architect and a "technician". I was quoted about €1,500 for a 2,000 sq ft house from a "technician" recently. He did work for me before on an extension and I felt he was quite good.

Out of interest is there a difference? If so what?

ill take that one please.....

the profession of architectural technology has grown since its inception in the 1970's.. ireland is a leading market in promoting it....

basically, the traditional assumption of the role of the architect was one who took the brief, designed the building, sorted planning issues, prepared tender drawings and contracts, oversaw construction and dealt with issues along the line till the completition of the project....

nowadays, the profession of Architecture has split...
The 'design' or 'creative' Architect focus wholy on the design and manifestation of the brief, from a creative form, function, spatial analysis and communication, materials etc to create the 'concept'....

the technician is the 'technical' Architect in that he/she deals specifically with putting the 'meat and bones' onto the 'design' Architects creation.... he/she deals with technical problem sloving regarding materials, junction detailing, statutory regulations and legisaltion, contract forming and procedure and construction problem solving....

so to recap... an Architect (in the common sense) is the 'creative' architect while the technician / technologist is the 'technical' architect....

there can be a muddling of both,.. but in their purer form thats what they are....