buy a load of dollars?

paperclip

i'll be heading off on a long trip next year. spending alot of time in SE Asia, where they'd take dollars.

Would it be a good idea to buy a load of dollars now, while the rate is so good, like, €1000's worth?

Why on earth would you do that? The Euro is as widely accepted as the dollar these days. In any event, using a non-local currency (dollars, euros etc) only serves to mark you out as the someone to be ripped off with the 'tourist price'. If I was you, I would stick to the local currency and use credit cards for the big expenses (hotels etc).

Why on earth would you do that? The Euro is as widely accepted as the dollar these days. In any event, using a non-local currency (dollars, euros etc) only serves to mark you out as the someone to be ripped off with the 'tourist price'. If I was you, I would stick to the local currency and use credit cards for the big expenses (hotels etc).

good point

I hardly think that most people who post here would blend in in SE Asia and only get caught out when they take dollars out of their pocket after having negotiated a price.

Being ripped off on prices is a factor of how you look / dress and the tone and manner of your engagement with the seller and most importantly always being willing to walk away.

Local currency is a good idea, but I fear that it would not save you from 'tourist prices'

I carried €400 dollars in my pockets around China and SE Asia for four months in 2004. Never could use em anywhere convenient. Used CC (in credit) to withdraw money in local currency to use as spending money.

Back