Business v. Personal use quotes from Brittons Brokers

priscilla

hi, has anyone noticed anything dodgy about online quotes from above company?. I've spent the morning shopping around for cheaper car insurance for my husband and requested an online quote from Brittons. As my husband uses his car for work I asked for a qoute for business class but when the qoute was given it only covered personal use, so I contacted the office by phone and as the operator could not access my online application for 24 hrs she went through a new qoutation for work cover which turned out to be 167 euro more expensive than online. Ehen I pointed out this to her, she said I must have only asked for personal cover. Thinking maybe I had keyed in incorrectly, I went back online and completed the same application with same information but names, etc changed but double checking each time for work use. Guess what, same qoute three times around ,all for personal use only. If you were in a hurry you may not notice that you are not getting what you asked for and may not be adequately covered. Anyone any similar occurences?.

Re: brittons insurance brokers

perhaps the quotation is dearer because you are getting business use. You say you can only get personal use online. business use is always dearer.

yes Ravima, I understand business use is going to be more expensive but if Brittons online are not going to qoute for business use they should state this and not provide business categories for one to choose from and then just ignore what has been applied for. If I hadn't read what I was being covered for, I would have just assumed I was covered for business use. I think this is very misleading and a waste of time completing an application for something that they are not providing online. Why don't they just state on the website that they just provide domestic car insurance and if anyone requires business use, contact the main office.

I got an online quote from Britton insurance last week - undercutting my renewal quote by €120 by the way! There were questions on the online quotation form about my use of the car for business purposes, how many business miles I would travel in a year, and what class of insurance I required (class 1 or class 2).

I travel for work, and am paid a travel allowance so must indemnify my employer on my policy. The final quote given to me over the phone I double checked that my employer would be indemnified) was the same as that given online - although I did take an optional extra which wasn't offered in the online quotation (breakdown assistance).

hi gipimann, don't know why I didn't have the same luck as you, I tried for class1 and class 2 business but still only got domestic. My husband's work circumstances sound similar to your own so the domestic policy is no good to him. I thought it was a scam but obviously it worked ok for you. Decided to stay with the original insurer, Brittons quote was 10 euro cheaper but what the hell, you only live once.

I know someone who got a quote from Axa directly and then went to Brittons brokers across the road and they were 150 cheaper. How does that work???!!!

The business use you ask for also depends on the quotation. Alot of the web site quotation engines only quote on very standard details (ie SDP use - social domestic and pleaseure use) and if you need to get business (class 1 or 2 ) you need to call the broker

Well I have to say that Britton's are generally very competitive- saying that I have used their lower quotes in the past to bargain with my current insurers- motor/ business etc

I've used them for the last few years, too, and have found them pretty good to deal with as well as offering competitive quotes. When I found a cheaper quote for our household insurance last month they immediately matched it, even though the (substantially) lower quote I'd been offered was based on a first-year-only discount.

In a general way, I'd say plenty of people have had the (rather disconcerting!) experience of being offered different quotes for the same cover from the same provider, (a) in their initial renewal letter, (b) online, (c) on the 'phone directly and (d) through a broker. Sometimes you even get a different quote when "A.N. Other" applies with exactly the same details!

Insurance is a marketplace like any other, and there's always some room for manœuvre. Ring Brittons back and haggle. ;)

Back