Business that takes bookings for small suppliers - liable for their quality of work?

clipper

I'm thinking of setting up a service which lists and takes bookings for small service suppliers. Say if one supplier was a plumber, I took the booking and sent him to someone's home which he proceeded to flood, would I be liable for this? If I'd a discliamer saying I was not responsible for work done etc., would this be enough or could I be seen as the main contractor,
Thanks

Re: Business that takes bookings for small suppliers - liable for their quality of wo

It should be straightforward enough to ensure that you are not liable but just providing a service.

If you think about you are just going one or two steps further than Golden Pages or the Red Book.

I think if you get a little legal advice it should be easy get the wording right to avoid any issues.

Re: Business that takes bookings for small suppliers - liable for their quality of wo

I would imagine it depends on who is being paid for the work, ie will the customer pay the plumber directly and you take a commission or will the customer pay you and in turn you pay the plumber. If the latter then I would imagine it does not matter what disclaimer you have as the transaction is with your company and you are liable.

I see what you're saying re. very little difference with golden pages & red book but my idea would be to offer possibility of viewing supplier's diary online and making booking online, also gives supplier web presence. Lipper, I guess then something like ebay, the customer is paying the seller directly, ebay just runs the facility for them to pay online and then the seller pays ebay so they'd be operating like the first esample you gave. I presume then if I didn't charge at all and maybe hoped for donations like this site, that there'd be no contract with me either and hence no liability

Act as an agent then you cannot be held responsible as you are not his employer

Relevant Contracts Tax will be an issue if you are engaging trades such as plumbers. As may be issues of PAYE/PRSI and deemed employment. More generally, you may have a problem with Revenue if your suppliers or subcontactors are evading tax on their earnings from you.

Back