Business Startup Question

ohtwo

Hi,

I'm in the process of starting up my first business and I have a question about the need for solicitor involvement.

I plan on using a formation company to register the company, and do the business name registration myself, VAT and Tax registration myself.

I'm about to enter into a lease on a premises and was wondering if you feel I need to get a solicitor involved in that? Do I need one to review the terms of the lease?

Also, do I need to have an accountant involved from the start or can that come later (ie: a few weeks or months into trading).

Thanks in advance

Unless you feel adequately competent to proceed on set up and all it entails then as an accountant I can only say that it is often well worthwhile to have the advice & assistance of an accounting/tax professional on side from day 1.

From recent experience, I would advise on having a solicitor involved with the lease. This obviously depends on the complexity of the lease but I toyed with\against the idea of getting a solicitor involved and can honestly say that I am glad I did.
Out of curiousity - what line of business are you in ? retail\commercial?

thanks guys.

it's going to be a retail business. has anyone any recommendations for solicitors/accountants?

Where are you located ohtwo? I can recommend a Dublin based solicitor but am a little reluctant to recommend my accountant just yet.....while he's been very helpful, we haven't actually opened yet so our dealings have only been minor questions, advice on forms, tax etc...I'll PM you the details if you want?