Business Software Alliance

MOFFY01

can anyone tell me, is a company legally or otherwise obliged to fill in the forms regarding software licences which this company sends out. I hasten to add that all my software is ligit.

Maybe you could expand on the context a bit more? What sort of company and in what situation is it sending software "out" and to whom/where?

Clubman, I imagine Moffy01 is referring to the forms that the [broken link removed] send out not to software sent out by anyone. I can't answer the original question on whether there is a legal compulsion to respond.

Dearg Doom said:
Clubman, I imagine Moffy01 is referring to the forms that the [broken link removed] send out not to software sent out by anyone. I can't answer the original question on whether there is a legal compulsion to respond.

According to their [broken link removed] there is no obligation to respond.

Absolutely no obligation!
The BSA is a consortium of vested interest including Microsoft, Lotus IBM I think.
Its only trying it on, so scare the non compliant.

My parents got one of those letters sent to their business a couple of years ago. It was very strongly worded and warned of dire consequences if the form was not filled out and returned, including threats of legal action. Had them a little concerned at the time despite all s/w being 100% legit. After checking it out I told them to bin it.
Leo

thanks for your replies, i do think its a bit of scare tactics myself, and feel once i reply they will have us hounded -

Back