Business Name Registration

ohtwo

Hi,

I sent in my business name registration a number of weeks ago with the appropriate fee which has been cashed. I rang yesterday for an update and they say it will be 'another week or two' before it is processed.

Problem is I want to get a sign manufactured for my shop front but I cant until they come back to me with the Certificate of registration.

Really frustrating. They cashed the cheque quick enough but cant process a form!

Why do you need the cert before you manufacture the sign? Registering a business name does not in itself confer any validity or rights to the chosen name. The CRO don't refuse business names unless they are deemed inappropriate or obscene.

I was just about to post something very similar!

I sent in an application for a business name a few weeks ago too. They took the money, but no word yet. Don't know what's going on.

Normally it only takes about 10 days...

If you want a good laugh order your sign and see how long that takes. If it took as long as it has taken us in the past you'll have your business registered by then no worries.

You are supposed to register the business name within a month of commencement of use. You've done that. Get your sign & the cert will issue in due course.

thanks for the replies. i was under the impression that the name had to be approved first. i dont want someone else claiming rights to it after I have ordered the sign.

ccraig,
i've been promised the sign installed within 7 days of ordering. are you able to say what company you ordered your from?

Thanks

thanks for the replies. i was under the impression that the name had to be approved first. i dont want someone else claiming rights to it after I have ordered the sign.

Registration of a busines name does not protect against duplication. ( See the CRO leaflet on their site )

You need to register your name as a trade mark with the Patents Office to protect it.