Business Name Registration

mark27

HI

I set up my business name registration on core and posted it off on 1st April.What i would like to know is ,can i start trading now under this name even though i have not received by certificate.
There will be no issue with similar names so i dont forsee it being rejected.

Thanks

Mark

Yes.

Registering a business name does not give you any rights to that name.

The purpose of registering is so that a creditor can check who the registered owner is.

Brendan

Mark, have you also applied for a tax registarion number for the company? you will need this before starting also

Thanks Brendan

jj,no i havent yet,as i need the business name cert to open bank account .And on the TR1 i need the bank details for Vat refunds(im registering for vat now also).

Or would it be easier to register for vat at a later time and just get the TR1 in now without registering for vat

Or would it be easier to register for vat at a later time and just get the TR1 in now without registering for vat

The decision on this depends on (a) if you are under or over the thresholds and (b) if , even if under the threshold, whether you elect to register anyway.

(a) is easy, if you expect turnover to be over the threshold then you must register. (b) is more complicated in that some traders elect to register depending on their customer base/business type. Others stay out of VAT as long as possible. This will depend on the facts of your case.

Annual turnover thresholds presently €35,000 for services €70,000 for sale of goods, increasing to €37,500 and €75,000 respectively from 01/05/08.

All above assumes that you are not engaged in a VAT exempt activity, in which case no registration is necessary.

Some banks (especially if it is one with which you have your own personal account) will allow you to give them a copy of the business name application in order to get an account opened in the name of the business, and you can then show them the original Cert when it arrives.

But it that doesn't work, to speed up the tax registration process you can disclose your own bank account details to the Revenue to get the registration processed (they only look for branch details and account number - not a name), then notify the change of account details to the Revenue immediately your new business account is established.