Business / Gadget Insurance

animha

I run a small consultancy business. I'm wondering what the best set-up is to insure my hardware i.e. laptop, iPad, phone etc.

I currently have them on my house insurance but there's a €500 excess on it and I would also like more comfort around having a fast turnaround i.e. should I have a back-up laptop if my laptop was stolen or damaged or are there policies which will guarantee a swift turnaround on this?

I already have public indemnity insurance but not public liability as I don't have a public office i.e. my meetings happen onsite with the client or in hotel lobbies etc.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!

You would want to make sure you read the fine print. Most household policies do not cover items for business use, they tend to restrict to personal use.

Public indemnity insurance is public liability insurance. You may still be able to add the items to that policy. Or depending on what you are paying it may be more cost effective to take a small office policy.

no one will do a swift turnaround. Claims tend to be a pain and take time. Once you have all the paperwork should be done in a week.

Thanks Peteb, that's helpful. Maybe I do need to keep a back-up laptop then. Grr!

Back