burn home video to dvd/cd

Shaz

I have made a few short homemade video clip using my Nikon digital camera. When I download them onto my PC, they are downloaded as .mov and played back by QuickTime. Is there any way to download them as .avi so that I can play them back on Windows Media Player, and edit and burn them to CD using Windows Movie Maker? I have made WMP the default player but does not work.

Do I burn home videos onto dvd or cd? What is the difference?

I have Sonic my DVD LE but was unsuccessful at every time burning to CD. If I cannot convert to .avi, is there a free software that I can download so that I can burn .mov clips into cd?

Thanks.

wide and varying range of products, some are free some arent, but it can be done!

Re: pls recommend burn home video to dvd/cd

Could someone please recommend a good and preferably free software for burning home video to dvd/cd. Thanks.

Something like this should convert your .mov files to .mpeg (layer 2) format. Then Windows Movie Maker will burn them to VCD format on a standard CD-R that will play back on any DVD player. However, 99% of DVD players will also play back .mpeg format without any need for Windows Movie Maker. I suggest you try it once, and if it works then you can burn an awful lot more .mpeg onto a blank DVD (4.4Gb) than onto a CD (800Mb).

You don't say what kind of Nikon camera you have. Have you checked the instruction manual to see if there's any option to save your video clips in a format other than .mov? Because the less converting back and forth, the better, obviously...

My own Fuji camera, for example, saves video as uncompressed .avi, which is fine, but eats memory (8 mins to a 256Mb card). However, my DVD player is DivX-compatible, so every time I 'download' clips from the camera I compress them to DivX format — at about 20% of the size, with no noticeable loss in quality.

Dr Moriaty, thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the software but tried to convert .mov to .avi. However, the foll message appeared: "Can't decoder this file. Please install (Quick Time Alternative) and check : Quick Time Codecs and Quick Time Drictshow Filter". Please advise as to what I should do next. Thanks.

(a) check these Google search results?
(b) maybe try this tutorial and the (free) programs involved?
(c) did you check out what I said about the camera maybe offering the option to save your video as something other than QuickTime .mov files?

If you had a full copy of Quick Time it would allow you to convert the mov to avi, mpeg or a multidude of other formats.

Of course this i not fiscally free, but is hassle free.
When purchased you obtain a set of codes that will unlock the functions currently greyed out.

Transferring home movie to DVD

I have a home movie captured using a minidv camcorder lasting 60 mins (on 1 tape). I would like to transfer it onto a DVD using my PC. The Software that came with the camcorder is MotionDV Studio 5.3E LE. However, I have been unsuccessful in downloading tape into PC using this software. I get a message telling me that the memory required exceeds available PC memory. How do I get around this? Same problem when I tried to use Windows Movie Maker.

Should I get Nero 7?

Burning home movie to CD

I downloaded the trial version of Nero 7 and used it to burn home movies to CDs. I was successful in burning a short clip and proceeded to burn another onto the same CD. But I was unable to add another clip without erasing the first one. What is the problem? I don't think the first file was that big.