Burn DVD/+ or DVD/-

Kevin

I've a new PC and want to start using the DVD burner but not sure whether to use DVD/+ or DVD/- discs. I've a Pioneer DVD player in the sitting room and would like the discs to be compatible with this player.

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered already but I just can't locate it!!!

Most new DVD players will play either format, but check your specific model on this link and it should tell which formats it can play: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Edit: Also ensure that your DVD burner can burn both -/+ discs as some burners only burn one type.

well i have 2 pioneer players and they both say +- on them. but them seem to spit out the odd +, but never a -, hope this is of some use.

I'd agree. DVD-R is the most compatible. You'll occasionally find problems with old players though. Different authoring packages will yield different degrees of reliability.

DVD+R recorded on a DVD+R/RW video recorder is quite good on compatibility, but strangely, +R recorded on a computer is not.

Be warned, it can be a bit hit & miss making discs that other people can play reliably.

I would also add that many older consumer DVD players do not support DVD-Rs as this was primarily a computer-oriented format; DVD+Rs were more for consumer DVD recorders.

I personally user DVD+Rs if I intend giving or lending, or even selling (only joking, Clubman!) the disc to somone else.

Technologist said:
DVD+R recorded on a DVD+R/RW video recorder is quite good on compatibility, but strangely, +R recorded on a computer is not.

In the last 3 years I have yet to burn a DVD+R on my pc and have it fail in a consumer dvd player!

podgerodge said:
In the last 3 years I have yet to burn a DVD+R on my pc and have it fail in a consumer dvd player!
My experience has been the complete opposite.

3 different consumer players would not play my DVD+R's and would play my DVD-R's.

You're not wrong but compatibility is really hit & miss.

Even brands of disc within the same format may be at issue, so if you find one that works consistantly, stick with it.