bungalow - single story or dormer?

gooner

Hi.I'm looking at both options (A. all accomadation on 1 level on a footprint of about 17m x 15m or B. also a bungalow with converted attic space on a footprint of about 12m x 10m).I have 2 plans that I really like (although I'm leaning towards the single story,as it's got a slightly nicer/better layout).What I would like to toss around here is the cost of building both types.I have heard that most price by the square area of living area (maybe I'm wrong),as opposed to the footprint square area.Both houses would have roughly the same amount of floor area.So my question is which one would be the more expensive to build,any thoughts?

I would have thought that the single story bungalow would be more expensive than the dormer bungalow,as the foundations would be more expensive,as would the area of walls,windows and roof?

So is it true that most price on a square area and not

cheers,

gooner

Re: bungalow - single story or dormer????

the roof area is the most expensive part of the build...

therefore a single storey dwelling is more expensive per square foot than a comparable dormer dwelling....

generally dormers can have approx 66% of the ground floor area on the first floor.. therefore that area is enveloped within a similar roof plane....

just one thing do,.. a dormer dwelling is not a bungalow...
a bungalow can only be single storey.... (a pet peve of mine, sorry...)

Re: bungalow - single story or dormer????

thanks for the reply.my mistake i should have said bugalow with attic conversion and velux windows.

dont mind me, im being pedantic....

to be honest, if your plan is actually 17m x 15 m then by default you will have a large attic space........(i severly hope not they are not, the proportions would be all wrong, 15 m between wallplates is huge!!)

sorry should have been more specific.the one with the attic conversion is rectangular and the single floor one (the 15 x 17 one) is a U shape.

i would recommed the dormer version from a cost base... however planning issues regarding height have to be taken into account....

are you engaging an architect???

are you purchasing plans from a third party??

if the latter, then heres a few points to consider....
1. orientation... is the dwelling living space orientated to suit the site
2. validation.... will the drawings recieved pass any councils validation process... if not then either you or your architect is going to have to augment them to suit..
3. architect willingness to work with prepurchased plans.... this may be an issue with planning regulations that are not met in the drawings.... if your architect has to redraw the plans then expect him to hit you with a substantial bill....

here's the deal.i am looking at various plans that I have (have a big box of them from a friend).once I have decided on something I will give them to an architect to draw up properly and ammend to suit my needs.at the moment I'm trying to consider all options.yes height may come into play,as I'm on the beach,but I do have a small house there already,which I will incorporate or knock down.

do you not trust the architect to design a specific building for both your needs and the sites????

... ps.... copyright on designs belongs to the designer... it would be an unscrupulous architect that would redraw someon elses plans...

of course i trust him.he's a friend of mine.I'm just looking over some examples hes given me and there are 2 that I like.So I thought I throw the question in the ring here and see what advice I would get.I will chat to him in a few weeks when he comes back to these parts.

Back