Bumped out of flight Belfast to Glasgow (but partner not bumped)

Lomond

Hi ,

Just checking if anyone has experienced this and found a solution. I booked a flight about a month ago from Belfast to Glasgow and have just been told today by email that my return flight has been cancelled - Im entitled to refund or rebook a later flight.

My travel partner is however not affected (I actually booked my seat before him) which would suggest that the flight is not cancelled and for some reson my name has been bumped. Its a total nuisance as we are both travelling together, hired cars etc. I will need to try and book another flight from a different airport or travel next day.

This has never happened to me in many years of flying - I wont loose any sleep over it but just annoyed about how easy they can do this and of course the big fat lie.

Lomond

Re: Bumped out of flight

We booked flights 6 months ago fron Dublin to Barcelona with Clickair. Were due to fly on Feb 9th. I got an email this week to say the flight were cancelled. They've withdrawn the service for Feb and Mar.
We did get a refund but have had to pay more than double the original price for new flights. They actually wanted us to fly in January rather than cancel. No compo!!!

similiar thing used to happen to me in the days when BA/Aer Lingus were flying Cork - Manchester with a teeny tiny plane. They used to overbook it on the weekends that Man Utd seemed to be playing at home and I was often approached when checking in asking if i'd be willing to take a later flight. Also, know 2 people who on the return trip went to check in and the check in staff delayed them and then told them they were too late to check in eventhough it was still an hour before flight (they received compensation double the value of their original total trip in the way of BA vouchers after lodging complaints). On questioning why I was always asked would I take a later flight, I was told by an Aer Lingus rep in Cork that this was the norm for BA to overbook the flights just in case someone didnt turn up.
I would definitely ring up and question and complain about your flight being cancelled if it's still going ahead.

surely if the flight is not cancelled, you should ask why they said it was?

Maybe your partner has not got her notice of cancellation yet?

I don't think that they overbook and then bump people by email, given that there are always some passengers who don't show up.

Maybe they have reduced the size of the plane? If so, they should not tell you they have cancelled the flight.

You need to email them or call them to explain your situation. They will probably bump some other passenger travelling on their own or bump your partner as well.

Brendan

Here's a summary from [broken link removed]

No compensation is payable if:
(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or
(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

Thanks for replies so far. I intend to call them Monday morning and find out what happened -the email confirmed that lines are opened Mon to Fri only. I also intend to speak to Consumer Authorites - thanks Clubman for link.

I can accept that flights get cancelled and long delays can happen etc that stuff happens and everyone is affected. What I find frustrating is being singled out and Im now curious as to the selection procedure they have adopted. My partner's flight has still not been cancelled so I will ask them for the reason why I was picked and also if this is an operating procedure it should be transparent (fat chance but I will ask). Perhaps a remedy should be given which refers to passengers randomly selected to loose their booking - not the big lie of this flight has been cancelled.

Im not totally stuck, Ive organised a few solutions over the weekend for my wee predicament but the best solution is still to have my ass on this flight.

Lomond

most airlines have an airmiles system of some sort - some of the airlines customers could have thousands of points etc and be very valued??

would they bump someone off a flight to make room for someone else??

most airlines have an airmiles system of some sort - some of the airlines customers could have thousands of points etc and be very valued??

would they bump someone off a flight to make room for someone else??

Hey there's two thoughts for the day - Ryanair airmiles and Ryanair valued customers!

NB: I'm not suggesting that Ryanair was the company referred to by the OP. I don't know which airline it was.

An update - My partner got news on Mon evening that their flight was disrupted/cancelled- mind you they didnt get an email, but had to log on to the website.

I wasnt singled out after all. I rang and spoke to the company but got through to a call centre in the UK and have been able to get a refund - should be on my credit card within seven working days. Have managed to book alternative flight in different airport.

Oh and it wasn't Ryanair - Ive never had a problem with this airline. Just my experience to date.

it is rather tough that airlines can do this.
We are going away for a long weekend, Fri morning to Monday evening, and had hotel booked (internet rate nonerfunable), our flight on the Mon evening was suppose to be at 7.30pm, which meant we would have all day Mon in the City but got an email telling me that our Monday flight has now been changed and it 7.15AM! So we are loosing a full day, and probably wouldn't have stayed Sunday night in hotel if we though we'd be getting up at 4/5 am to make our flight! We'd have just gone home on Sunday nigh flight and save ourselves €200!

Sorry about rant, just a bit peeved!

just to add my tuppence worth. my good friend worked for BA for 7 years in london. I recall her telling me that BA over book EVERY flight. read this post, called her up to ask was I right in remembering her saying that. She said yep! BA over book every flight they have.

Many airlines overbook. It's not just BA.

It makes sense as they would have empty seats otherwise. They tend to look after people very well when they bump them.

Brendan

surely once every seat is booked its then paid for? BA shouldnt be loosing out even if they do have empty seats. less headache i should think, better customer satisfaction..

My partner booked a lot of seats for her and friends to go to Barcelona and the service is cancelled, apparrently they're going into liquidation. In the process of getting a refund at the moment. Was told it would be repaid in 10 days but 3weeks later no sign of it. Getting the bank involved now but need to email clickair and can't find an email address for them on the website !! It's all sooooo dodgy looking !!! If anyone has their e-mail addrress it would be much appreciated.

I'm afraid not, there's no e-mail address and I really need to e-mail them to have things in writting !!

Presumably it was paid for by credit card. If you can't contact the company, institute a charge back through the bank.