Bulgaria a good destination?

gramlab

Want to go somewhere different from the usual spain, portugal canaries etc and Bulgaria doesn't look bad (price, flight time with 2 yr old etc). Would like to try cypressor menorca but cork to dublin and back is a bit much to add on to travel

However, there is not a lot of info on bulgaria that I can find in previous posts, and what there is seems to be a mixed bag. Anyone been???

Last edited:
Went to Bulgaria last year for a week. Had a nice enough time but found the choice of food to be awful. We went in May before the peak and there seemed to be more prostitutes than tourists.....Beware...If you want specific info PM me...

I went for two weeks last year in September - one week would have been enough. It is cheap and okay but would not compare with Portugal etc. As you can see from my name I am no spring chicken but was shocked (flattered?) when one night approached by a prostitute.

Haven't actually been myself but 2 friends have just returned and said they'd never go back. They had nothing good to say about it. They went skiing so obviously a completely different area to where you're going.

I've been there a couple of times. I wouldn't go near Sunny Beach ever again. Overcrowded, expensive (compared to other parts of bulgaria), lots of the worst type of bulgarian people wanting to rip you off etc etc.

I much prefer northern bulgaria around Varna. Varna is a nice city. Food in Bulgaria in general so you need to be careful about the restaurants you pick.