building without an architect, how the bank will react?

griffid

We are planning on building a timberframe house through one of the larger companies using one of their existing house plans. As far as I am aware this means we will not have an architect. Some of the banks I have talked to (we have not applied for pp or a mortgage, we're still finding out) require an architect to sign off a different stages of the build for us to draw down the next payment of the mortgage. What happens in a case like ours where there may not be an architect?

As I say we have a small budget, we won't be hiring an architect. What I was hoping was that someone who has already built a house with a company like we plan to would know if the bank will take the companies say so in the absence of an architect or engineer.

thats blunt to say the least. Thanks, I think... I suppose I just assumed the company would come with the necessary expertise.

They may have their own engineer that can certify at stages. I doubt the bank would accept the company's own engineer as it strikes me tehre would be conflict of interest.

You will still need to pay for these inspections (prob. 3 or 4) but it's not the same as having an architect involved in the design of the house which would be likely to be a percentage of the building cost (e.g. 10%).

The bank needs to have reassurance that what you are building and what they are paying for is worth the money they are lending you. Only a certified engineer/architect are qualified to satisfy them that it is the case.

Rebecca

make sure you check with the banks before you go ahead they may refuse to give you a mortgage on a timber frame house, have seen it happen before

You should consider using the architect anyway, unless you know a hell of a lot about construction and design.

its an engineer you need, more than an architect who will be technically competent enough to ensure the building is erected properly on proper foundations in accordance with its planning permission and building regs. they then sign off on this for the council and the bank which means you then have a proper resaleable house as opposed to a heap of bricks and wood sitting in a field

Don't get an engineer to design your house however. Even if that means just making one or two layout changes to the pattern book design.

We used an engineer to design our house and the process worked out fine. We selected him on the basis of word-of-mouth recommendations. He gave us excellent advice re use of space, maximisation of natural light etc. There appeared to be little difference between his expertise and those of the architects we spoke to.

Maybe you were lucky. However engineers are not spatial design professionals nor would they claim to be.

Back