building which do not require planning permission

Samantha

i need some clarification regarding building which do not require planning permission.

We are thinking of extended to the rear of the house by no more than 40sq metre which will not require planning permission but I know that if they had been previous extension you need to take them in consideration to calculate it. My question is: if the previous extension was with planning permission, should it count or not towards the 40sq meter ?

Thanks

Samantha

The regulations state "where the dwelling has not been previously extended..."
Therefore if the dwelling has been extended previously, under a granted planning application post 1964, then that area has to be included in any calculations up to 40sq m.... so it does count samantha....

My builder keep telling me that I don't need it. Anywhere in written that I can show him. He told me that because the previous extension was with PP, it doesn't count but I am not sure and Sydthebeat you seem to confirm it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

schedule 2, part 1

2. (a) Where the house has been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension, taken together with the floor area of any previous extension or extensions constructed or erected after 1 October 1964, including those for which planning permission has been obtained, shall not exceed 40 square metres.

I have just recently checked all this out with Dublin City Council as we are doing an extension.

You can build an extension of 40sqm without planning permission, provided that there is 25sqm left in garden(double check that as not 100%sure on amount).

You dont say whether you are doing a single or double storey extension. If it is a single storey then you can go out the 40sqm but if it is a double storey extension that the second storey can be no more that 12sq m and so the first storey would be 28sqm.

As the previous poster said any previous extensions that where not part of the existing house would have to be taken into consideration. So if the exsisting extension is 20sqm, then you only have 20sqm left.

I would not take the builder at his word. Ring you local council or even call into them to double check everything. There is no point in building extension only to find out that you do need pp on it.

No it applies to any type of house, not just terraced.

no, it only applies to a semi or terraced...

a detached dwelling can be extended to a total of 20m of first floor level, once all other conditions are met...

to the OP and anyone else having any queries about exempted development, read the regs, they are surprisingly clear and unambiguous...