Building Regulation Help

Anna Lucia

I am getting a wall knocked in my home can anybody tell me does a job like this require an engineers report if we ever decide to sell in the future?? Also it is the wall between kitchen & dining room the span is 12ft and there are 2 bedrooms above this area, anybody know or know how I can calculate what size rsj I need
Thanks very much

You wont able to calculate the size of RSJ required nor will anyone alse here be in a position to tell you. You quite rightly referred to an engineer. Get one, get him/her to give the details to the builder and give you a completion cert for future reference

For what it's worth full building regulations are on the Department of the Environment website. See the http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIHome.nsf/wvInfoView/6E12AA37049B3D0080256F350039CF78?OpenDocument&Lang=en (site index).

You will need to get an engineer to have alook at it, as this wall could be supporting the floors and in turn the roof structure. Also an assement of the supports for the beam need to be looked at and whether the foundations are adequate. You will need an engineers certificate. I worked in a engineering consultancy and can give you the name of someone who should be able to give a fair price.

Back