Building recording studio in back garden

cbruen1

I have a 4 bed semi detached house in Beaumont and my back garden is 15 metres long by 10 wide. I want to build a recording studio out the back with possibly a living space also i.e. bedroom with en suite and living room. There is a house on each side and also at the end of the garden, so soundproofing would be important. I'm not sure if all this is possible so I'm looking for general opinions on if it's feasible, planning, soundproofing, etc. Also I'm wondering if there's any architect/technician that would do plans for a reasonable price.

So some questions:

- Is it possible to get enough soundproofing to not disturb neigbours?
- What's the best material for soundproofing - blocks, timber frame with rockwool, or other?
- I want minimal heating - how does passive heating work?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Planning permission for such a development could be quite tricky, a call to your local authority to establish your chances would be a good idea.
Leo

Ok but it isn't a commercial venture, so I'm hoping that if I can get the soundproofing right then it won't be a problem. Also I'll be keeping it within the size allowed (can't rem what that is at the mo).

There's some good information about soundproofing here

On the planning issue, if it's a separate building you're considering then I think you will need PP if you put a bedroom in it.
If it's an extension that doesn't apply.

[broken link removed] article might be of interest especially the last post. Living space is most likely a no no.

Hi,

Has anybody come across Green Glue before. It's used to sound-proof walls. I found this site http://www.greengluecompany.com/ and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this.

Has anyone used it?

Does anyone know if it is available in Ireland?

Cheers,

Ian

It's widely used in the USA, I don't know about Ireland.

There's a distributor in the UK - RPG Europe in Kent. They've just set up a Green Glue site.

There's been quite a bit of discussion about GG on [broken link removed].